City of Jasper Building Department

Jasper Georgia Building Department


Code of Ordinance link opens in new window list_alt

Dwelling Size Minimum Floor Area

Single-family detached dwelling, 1,400 heated square feet above ground level (excluding basements, finished or non-finished and any floor areas below ground level(s), heated or non-heated). Single-family attached dwelling, 1,000 sq ft and multi-family dwellings, 800 square feet

All Development Permits are valid for 1 year. Development Permits will be considered void if work does not begin within the first six months. Soil and Erosion Plans must be submitted before a Land Disturbing Permit is issued.

Article IV. Building Permits and Certificates list_alt picture_as_pdf

Any owner, authorized agent, or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the technical codes, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit for the work.

task_alt Building Permit Checklists

New Commercial Construction picture_as_pdf
New Residential Construction picture_as_pdf
Residential Renovation/Addition picture_as_pdf

Building Permit Application picture_as_pdf

Must include three (3) sets of building plans. A permit will not be issued until the plans have been approved by the Fire Inspector.

All applicants must submit a set of approved plans before a Building Permit is obtained. All Building Permits are valid for one (1) year. Building Permits will be considered void if construction does not begin within the first six (6) months. All inspections must be scheduled at least two (2) days in advance. Notice to reschedule an inspection must be given at least 24 hours prior to the original appointment.

Single Family Residential
Administrative Fee = $100.00
Heated Square Feet = $0.18 per sq ft
Non-heated Square Feet = $0.12 per sq ft

Multi-Family Residential / Commercial
Administrative Fee = $100.00
Heated Square Feet = $0.20 per sq ft
Non-heated Square Feet = $0.15 per sq ft

Miscellaneous Building Permits
Minimum Permit fee $50.00
Utility or Storage Building = $0.10 per sq ft (Non-Heated)
Detached Garage = $0.10 per sq ft (Non-heated)
Remodeling / Additions = $0.18 per sq ft (Heated)
Remodeling / Additions = $0.12 per sq ft (Non-heated)
Permit Renewal = $50.00
Permits must be renewed within 30 days of the expiration.

Other Permits Only required if electrical, plumbing and/or mechanical plans were not included in the original building plans.

Electrical Permit = $100.00 (License Required)

Plumbing Permit = $100.00 (License Required)

Mechanical Permit = $100.00 (License Required)

Definitions and Rules of Construction picture_as_pdf

Article V. Soil Erosion, Sedimentation and Pollution Control list_alt picture_as_pdf

Inspection Policy picture_as_pdf

Inspection Fees / Certificate of Occupancy Fees
Cost of inspections and Certificate of Occupancy are included with the Building Permit fee.
Final Inspection for the Certificate of Occupancy must be completed within seven (7) days of the Building Permit expiration.

Re-inspection Fees
If no one is available at the time of inspection, the following fees may be assessed for re-inspections: Certificate of Occupancy will not be issued until all outstanding Re-inspections are paid.

First Re-inspection = $25.00
Second Re-inspection = $50.00
Third or more Re-inspections = $100.00

We ask that inspections be scheduled 24 hours in advance. Failure to receive an approved inspection before backfilling the area could result in a $100 assessment and removal of backfill materials.

Tenant Occupancy Change picture_as_pdf

A Tenant Occupancy Change Inspection will need to be conducted to ensure the proposed business meets all building and fire safety codes and meets all requirements of current zoning.

Sign Permit Application picture_as_pdf

Include a scale color diagram of sign including proposed wording, and all measurements.

Building Signs
Show where the sign is located on the building indicating dimensions of the side of the building.

Property Signs
Show where the sign is being placed on the property (show all setbacks to property lines). Show a diagram indicating the mounting details.

A photograph of the proposed site would be helpful, if available.

Sign Permit = $25.00
A $200 bond is required for all temporary or political signs. The money is refunded as long as the signs are removed within 7 days after the end of the event.

Outdoor Lighting picture_as_pdf

Purpose and Intent: This article is intended to reduce the problems created by improperly designed and installed outdoor lighting. They are intended to eliminate problems of glare and minimize light trespass, with regulations that avoid unnecessary direct light from shining onto abutting properties or streets.

Demolition Permit Application picture_as_pdf

Owner will make sure no propane of natural gas is on or connected to the structure prior to demolition.

Owner will make sure there is no electric power supplied to the structure.

Owner will not burn on property without a burning permit from the City of Jasper Fire Department.

If structure is a mobile home, the owner will not transport another mobile home into city limits.

Owner will remove all debris left over from the demolition on property.

Demolition Permit = $25.00

Land Disturbance Permit Application picture_as_pdf

Local Issuing Authority Fees
The permit fee for an area of less than 1 acre is $25.00. The permit fee for an area of 1 acre or more is $140.00 per acre. Please make check payable to the City of Jasper.

Department of Natural Resources-EPD Fees
If an area of 1 acre or more is disturbed, an additional $40.00 per acre is assessed by the Environmental Protection Division of Georgia. Please make check payable to the Department of Natural Resources-EPD.and submit with form CLDF to: EPD-Construction Land Disturbance Fees P.O. Box 932858 Atlanta, GA 31193-2858

Applications must include one (1) original and three (3) copies of the Erosion and Sediment Control Plan. The application and plan will be sent to the Environmental Protection Division for processing. Applicant is responsible for submitting all forms and fees required by EPD in order to receive state permits.

Land Disturbing Permit for less than 1 acre = $25.00
Land Disturbing Permit for 1 acre or more = $140.00 per acre
EPD-Construction Land Disturbance Fees = $40.00 per acre

Erosion Control Affidavit picture_as_pdf

To be filled out by the person responsible for compliance with The Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Ordinance.

Storm Water Discharge Application picture_as_pdf

State of Georgia Environmental Protection Division For Coverage Under NPDES General Permit To Discharge Storm Water Associated With Construction Activity

The Owner and Operator of an activity that has a discharge of storm water from a site where construction activities occur must apply for a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit. The Permit is available for review at EPD’s offices and on EPD’s web page at EPD website. It is highly recommended that the permittee read and understand the terms and conditions of the Permit prior to submitting a NOI for coverage under this Permit.

Pool and Pond Barriers

Pools and ponds intended for swimming, recreational bathing, or wading and decorative landscape ponds or holding ponds that contain water over 24 inches (610 mm) in depth located in a residential zoning are declared to be attractive nuisances dangerous to children and others and shall be enclosed in fencing or barriers consistent with the city's building code, but not less than the following minimum standards:
  1. The top of the barrier shall be at least 48 inches (1,219 mm) above grade measured on the side of the barrier that faces away from the decorative landscape pond.
  2. The maximum vertical clearances between grade and the bottom of the barrier shall be two inches (51 mm) measured on the side of the barrier that faces away from the decorative landscape pond.
  3. Where the top of decorative landscape pond is above grade, the barrier may be at ground level or mounted on top of the decorative landscape pond. The maximum vertical clearance between the top of the pond structure and the bottom of the barrier shall be four inches.
  4. Openings in the barrier shall not allow passage of a four-inch (102 mm) diameter sphere. (Code 1979, § 44-I.5.A; Ord. of 7-23-2007) Secs. 18-62--18-80. Reserved.


Documents open in new window picture_as_pdf

Building Permit

Demolition Permit

Erosion Control Affidavit

Fats, Oil, and Grease (FOG) Management Policy

General Contractor Affidavit

Land Disturbance Permit

Sign Permit

Storm Water Discharge

Sub-Contractor Affidavit

Deliver completed permit applications to City Hall
or you may fax them to 706-692-2126.


For annexation and zoning questions, please call the Planning Department at 706-692-9100 .
Shauna Coleman - City of Jasper Planner

Shauna Coleman


Ryan Ledbetter - Building Inspector

Ryan Ledbetter


Josh Davis - Development/Utilities Specialist

Josh Davis
Development/Utilities Specialist